The University of California (UC) application will be available for submission beginning November 1, 2010 through November 30, 2010. You can access and begin filling out the application now. The UC application is used to apply to any of the 9 UC campuses, which consist of: UC Berkeley, UC Davis, UC Irvine, UC Los Angeles, UC Merced, UC Riverside, UC San Diego, UC Santa Barbara, and UC Santa Cruz.
Tips on applying to a UC school:
- All 9 campuses are under the UC system therefore you can fill out one application and select which campuses you want to send it to. However, each school has an application fee of $60.
- The UC system does not accept paper applications, all applicants must apply online at www.universityofcalifornia.edu/apply
- They require a personal statement broken up into 2 prompts. Make sure you answer all parts of the question and stay within the word limit. Each answer should be no less than 250 words and a combined total of 1000 words.
- Prompt #1- Describe the world you come from- for example, your family, community or school- and tell us how your world has shaped your dreams and aspirations.
- Prompt #2- Tell us about a personal quality, talent, accomplishment, contribution or experience that us important to you. What about this quality of accomplishment makes you proud and how does it relate to the person you are?
- Get a copy of your transcripts from your counselor; they will come in handy when filling out the Academic History portion of the application.
- Building a resume or brag sheet with all the awards and honors you have received and activities, volunteer work, and job experience you have been involved in throughout your high school career will be useful when filling out the Activities portion of the application.
- DO NOT WAIT UNTIL THE LAST MINUTE TO SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION. It is in most people’s nature to procrastinate, however this is not the time to do so! Thousands of students apply to UC’s every year (55,000 to UCLA alone last year), the large number of applicants causes the site to become very congested during the last days before the deadline. You do not want to risk not being able to submit your application on time because you waited until the last minute. To avoid any problems, submit your applications 2-3 weeks prior to the deadline.
- Print and save your submission confirmation for your records. It should include your application ID number and a summary of your application.
- Submit your SAT and/or ACT scores as well as SAT Subject test score through www.collegeboard.com.
- Notification of acceptance begins March 1, 2011 through March 31, 2011.
- If you are accepted to a campus and plan on enrolling, you will have to submit a Statement of Intent to Register to the chosen campus by May 1, 2011. You will also have to submit official transcripts by July 15.