Caution: The senioritis epidemic is here! Christmas is over, we’ve stepped into 2011 and spring semester has begun. Now that your college applications are in, graduation day can’t come fast enough. The last thing you want to do is go to class and study for AP exams when Prom is right around the corner and you need to find the perfect date. Beware because Senioritis is contagious and extremely dangerous.
Although, the end of your high school career is so close you can already see it, you have to remember that these last 5 months are just as important as the last 3.5 years. You don’t want all the hard work you have put in to go to waste because you lost your focus at the end.
To stay on top of the game, follow these simple steps to avoid being a victim of senioritis:
- Do not let your grades slip- All the grades that you receive during the spring semester of senior year still count, and if they drop dramatically it can jeopardize your admission to colleges and potentially even delay your graduation.
- Do not procrastinate- In order to ensure that your grades don’t suffer plan out your time and your assignments so nothing is left last minute.
- Do not lose focus- At this point, you might feel like you are sitting in a waiting room. Waiting to see which colleges will accept you, waiting to see which college you will attend, and waiting for high school to end. Make good use of your waiting time and narrow down your career focus. Get a part time job or volunteer at a local place to get a jump start on your future.
- Work on time management- Learning to manage your time wisely is an important skill in keeping your grades up and will give you an advantage when you start college. Starting college with a system that works for you can eliminate a lot of stress later.
- Plan your goals- Take some time and think about what you want to accomplish in college. Whether it is majoring in a certain subject, studying abroad, or interning at a major company. Having a clear objective will make it much easier for you to plan ahead and work towards achieving your goals.
This is an exciting time for you! Enjoy it to the fullest but be smart! Keep your focus clear and remember the end will be much sweeter when you have a solid plan for your future.